JQuery Mobile Beta 1

As of last week, the JQuery Mobile people finally released beta 1. They’ve been releasing Alpha versions for a long time now, and we’re all still waiting for a “1.0” release… I’ve used this JQM library for some mobile development I’ve done for a client, and while it’s been nice mostly, it’s been a bit annoying all the iterations they’ve gone through– changing compatibility and some interfaces along the way…

I just loaded the beta1 version and fixed up some breaking changes, and it appears to be the best release yet. I have yet to test it with all the mobile phones, but so far it works well in Chrome, Firefox, and even desktop IE! That’s quite something, as IE support has been lacking(even though they claim they added it in alpha3 or something, it didn’t work if you had a form element on your page!!!).

Internally used, custom software

I’ve considered writing some internal software for managing license fulfillment, customer support requests, enhancement/bug tracking, time tracking, and a bunch of other things as they come up. I previously wrote such a system at a former employer/current client, and it’s paid dividends for their business, many times over– far more than a canned off-the-shelf solution could ever do.

I’ve put this off for so long, as it means time away from client work that directly pays, and product work that indirectly pays later. I’ve used a bunch of ┬ádifferent sub-optimal solutions up until now(Excel spreadsheets, a simple license-generator, etc.). I was looking at a canned solution called FogBugz, and realized although it is kinda nice, it can’t offer me the benefits of a custom solution…

While reading on FogBugz site, I read “Good software is not an accident. It is a result of a process designed to produce good software.” ┬áThat really rung true– having a unified system to manage feature requests, bugs, support incidents, time tracking, license generation, etc. is very important for me to be able to run my business– primarily to create excellent software. The splintered approach I’ve been using is inefficient and easy to ignore and forget about– a unified system will force me to use it for one aspect of my business, which will remind me to use it constantly for the other parts.

So, I’ve started working this week on “SMS”– the ‘Sensible Management System’. This name is a clear knock-off of the system I developed for my former employer, which was called TMS(Ticket Management System)– but I really wanted a good acronym for the system, and something that was beyond ‘tickets’, as this system will do so much more. I have no plans to release this as a public product, due to its very custom nature, but I think the time I put into it should pay dividends someday in being more organized, and saving time by shortening iterations in business processes.

New releases, busy week

This has been a busy week involving multiple new releases– one for Overseer, my network monitoring software, and the other for Employee Scheduling Pro, my employee scheduling software. In addition to this, I’ve had more hours than usual for a regular client of mine… Overall, it’s been a very busy week.

I’ve also been looking at adding support to Overseer for USB temperature sensing units. I ordered a few for prototypes/development units, and hope to add a budget alternative to the extremely expensive Sensatronics EM1 option that Overseer currently supports.

New office, new child, etc.

Well, I haven’t written in a while as things have been quite busy. I moved into a new office in early May, and my wife gave birth to our first child, Lily, in mid-May. I recently got back to work, and I’ve been playing catch up with a new release of my Employee Scheduling Software and client work.

Things have been going well– our baby is sleeping decently at night, and it’s really awesome to be a dad. The office outside the house was clearly a good decision– it helps me separate business and personal and gives me the quiet time needed to be productive during work hours.